Monday, December 30, 2013

Help a girl out: calling for any inspiration or tips for eating healthy and creatively in a third world country

Since coming home for my surgery in October, I've been so much more appreciative of the variety and options I am able to have in my diet. I have the ability to choose what ethnicity I would like to indulge in (hello Thai, Indian and Korean!) and it's also easy to make healthy choices while maintaining a balanced diet. 
I miss my greek yogurt so much when I'm there!
An awesome hole-in-the-wall Korean restaurant in Wichita
In Nigeria however, it's another story. There's definitely no lack of fresh fruits and vegetables for super cheap and I love that aspect, but getting some necessary protein into my diet and having foods/snacks that will sustain me throughout a crazy day (especially being a hypoglycemic) is another story. Their diet is full of starches (yam, rice, cassava, etc.), thick red oil, and lots of spices. I do enjoy the ethnic food and I try to eat it as much as I can but it often leaves me feeling heavy, unsatisfied, and taking unwanted trips to the bathroom (I know, tmi!).
One of the local foods that we frequently eat called, Okpa.
We (the Americans) will splurge on some items at the market to throw some more options in the mix but there's only so much you can do to Americanize/Mexicanize the food to try and add different flavors and we end up making the same meals over and over with a slightly different spin on it and it gets monotonous!
By the time we're able to make a meal we're usually already tired and hungry and don't often have access to the internet for ideas, so my creative juices have run their course as far as food goes and I'm wanting to go back armed with loads of recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts, and I need your help!
Some boys in our village hauling oranges
I would LOVE to hear your ideas and recipes that could give some variety! Let me give you our main staples that we can get easily and at a decent price (this does not include meat or dairy products. We can get margarine for baking and can do powdered milk. Also, please don't include anything that needs to be blended/pureed.)
-beans
-rice
-eggs
-cashews/peanuts
-yam/potatoes
-most veggies (I can substitute local greens for spinach and kale)
-a large variety of fruits
-most things necessary for baking

Feel free to ask questions and leave as much advice as you like :) Thank you in advance!

1 comment:

  1. You mentioned that you love greek yogurt, if you go on pinterest there are several recipes on how to make your own. Maybe this would be an option? On another random note, that is so cool you are from Wichita, so am I! I also have a heart for Africa, I simply LOVE Kenya and am hoping to go there for all of next summer. :)
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete