Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

I've been meaning to blog for awhile now about some of the ways I've seen God working lately but words have escaped me and so I haven't been motivated. But I don't want to forget and so, motivated or not, here goes...

So, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, as I was driving throughout Wichita for work, i was thinking to myself, "wow, as long as nothing major happens, I'm pretty set as far as money goes for Africa, how exciting!"
Ya, I don't know if God just laughs at my conceited confidence and lack of dependence on Him, or what. I sure hope so, as often as it happens!
Well, I was less than a mile away from home that same day when my car starts making awful noises and I have to pull over to the side of the road and kill it. It never started up again. I got it towed and was told the next day that it needs a new engine. ha. Oh, did I mention that this is the second car I've had since August that has broke down and that it was actually my parent's that they were kind enough to let me borrow?? To say I felt sick about it is an understatement, especially since my job depends on me having a car that is in my name.  Since I was less than 2 months away from leaving the country, buying a car was out of the question, as was quitting my job.

Well, I had several days to spend some time with Jesus and also receive some major prayer, encouragement, and assistance from several friends. I spent the latter part of my week and a half without a car, not worrying for once,and also,seeing the body of Christ work together in some beautiful and selfless ways(the way we are meant to!). My pastor ended up lending my dad his car so that I can drive my dad's car(yah, I'm definitely praying I don't mess this one up!!) for my last month here!

During that same week,actually the same day I learned the car issue was resolved,God intricately and beautifully provided a large sum of money for me which more than made up for my not being able to hardly work that week(if you want to hear the details, just ask!). That was a very humbling day and I was literally speechless. It definitely had nothing to do with me being worthy of anything, but God allowing some selfless, followers of His, to do what He was leading them to do,and I know they will be blessed by it!

God has laid on several people's hearts to be a part of this ministry(me serving in Nigeria), financially and prayerfully, and I can't say thank you enough. It has really given me a huge peace about serving there and making steps to be there permanently at some point(hopefully sooner rather than later!).
Just today I found out that an anonymous person recommended "A Place of Hope - Africa" for a grant through a charitable endowment program...they gave $15,000 for a mini-bus for our kids in Nigeria!!! All we have now are 2 motorcycles for 22 kids,not including adults!! This is a HUGE answer to prayer!!
 
I had a rough weekend and was very discouraged but was reminded by someone of the verse in Matthew(below) and it helped get my mind back on track.  I don't understand how I can so easily freak out and worry when I see God's provision and love constantly. Another huge thing that helps me put everything back into perspective is that this world is not my home!! My cars breaking down,crappy days at work,being overwhelmed by all of the hurting and needy people,freaking out about money,being upset at my failures...this is not all I have to look forward to in life and for that I am sooo thankful!

The things I worry about are pretty trivial in comparison to what I actually need and is important in this short life(heavenly and spiritual things).I miss out on so much when I am worrying and trying to figure out everything instead of trusting my God, resting in Him,talking to Him,and receiving His precious peace.


Matthew 6:25-34
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Philippians 4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

1 comment: