Friday, June 25, 2010

opportunities

The after school "program" has been going pretty well. It is at the same time, extremely frustrating. The first thing we do is separate the kids into 3 groups and do lessons with them. We are just going over very basic things that they should already have learned or be learning in school. I have the younger children ranging from ages 3-6 and one 13 yr old who is lower functioning, and they cannot say the alphabet, recognize, or write any letters. So, I am starting from scratch and we have been on the letter,A, for 3 days now. The older children are also having a very hard time but some of the newer ones had never been to school and are just learning English so it will be slow going for a while. Pray for patience and understanding for the students and teachers.
The bible lessons have been good though and the children just love the huge colorful felt board we use to illustrate. Every night everyone gets together and the children sing, dance, and pray. I love hearing their prayers so much. It is so beautiful and they are truly thankful for everything God has done.

I have been inquiring about a prison ministry that I heard of a lady doing last time I was here. We aren't sure if she is still doing it or even if she still lives here but we are going to try to find out. This morning I was asking Emmanuel about their prison systems and he said, "We call it hell fire here." They will just cram 30 people into a small room and designate a corner for them to relieve themselves. There can be a person who committed a simple crime put in for years and years with murderers, simply because no one has came to get him out.
I am also inquiring about children who are being wrongly accused of being witches(blaming deaths, poverty, sickness,etc on them) and tortured and thrown out of their villages to fend for themselves. This is apparently a big thing here in Nigeria, especially south of here and I want to look more into it. Please pray for these 2 things and for the Lord's leading.

There is much more I could write about but I am going to try to conserve my battery. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your prayers! If you ever have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Here is a picture of one of the twin boys, Kose or Samson. Oh I love this boy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment